Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tumba Patis

Tumba Patis is an Ilonggo street game. All you need are your slippers (flip flops) and a can or bottle. There is the one person who is 'it' and they stand facing all the other players with the can close by. Balancing on the can or bottle is one shoe. As a player you want to throw your shoe at the can knocking the balancing shoe off. If you throw your shoe and miss the miss the bottle you have to run and try to retrieve your shoe before the 'it' person can tag you. Once tagged you replace the 'it' person. IF you are able to knock the shoe off the bottle with your throw then everyone can run and grab their shoes. The 'it' person must quickly replace the shoe onto the bottle before the thrower can grab his/her own shoe. If the 'it' person can replace the shoe in time then they get to go enter the game and the thrower will then become the 'it' person.
Does this make sense? It doesn't so much to me but I'm more a hands on learner. I had to play the game before I could understand what was going on.

Tuesday afternoon we had the missionaries over and a family for a Spiritual message provided by the Elders, some food and some games. One of these games we played was Tumba Patis. The Elders hung out on the road doing what they do, talking and sharing the good word some people walking by and the rest of us chucked our shoes around screaming and running around like crazy people. Even though Brayden and Madison had no idea what was going on they were running around throwing their shoes like they were in the know unwilling to be left behind. Shoes were flying, people were charging and I felt like I was dodging football players while I tried to capture a few of their genuine smiles. I think that although tumba patis is meant to be a fun high energy game, it can be pretty full contact if played with the right people.

Darling
It was fun and of course even though I hardly played I was sweaty and gross and all these pretty Filipina's that were running back and forth giving it there all were completely dry. How does that happen!?

1 comment:

  1. thanks a lot for helping me in my PE proj.

    ReplyDelete