Monday, March 1, 2010

Remember the Awkward Years? *sigh*

I think everyone goes through those years... those years where you start to realize that boys are cute and they really don't have cooties but you have no idea how to talk to them? Those years when maybe you aren't looking your best. For me those years were called Jr. High... the pre-braces, acne, and bad hair days. I even think that my own parents understood those awkward years and spared me by not taking many pictures of me during those times and for that I am more grateful then they will ever know.

This weekend we helped out at a Youth Activity for our church that included youth from 12-18 years of age. Each group had to put on a skit about a previously selected Book of Mormon Story based on the theme "Who is Your Hero." The skits were great and Brayden and Sydney were sitting front row enjoying themselves. Brayden somehow got his hands on some props and spent the rest of the night being Nephi. After the skits there was a dance and THIS is where it all came back to me. The. Awkward. Years. Girls standing on one side of the gym while the boys stand at the other no one brave enough to ask someone to dance. I felt awkward just watching them. Finally Ryan just started grabbing people and forcing them to dance with each other during the sweet (slow) songs. It ended up being a great time and the next day at church the youth in our ward said they had a great time. Hopefully they all got to dance with their crush to the longest slow song or the very last dance. OH how I would never wish to go back to Jr. High!



At the end of the night, after having convulsions thinking of myself in the youths position I think I did pretty good! I got to dance with my stud reminding me that all that practicing I had (or didn't have) in Jr. High was worth it!

4 comments:

  1. Your kids are so.stinkin.adorable.

    I can't wait to see what they look like during their awkward years... shudder. I think mine lasted years longer than yours!

    (Kait)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried my hardest to teach him to dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, the pain of adolescence! those were cruel years, especially if you sported a hairstyle that was a hybrid of cabbage patch bangs and a mullet like moi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you all so much - but Megs - were you stepping on Ryan's foot??????? Just kidding - it looks like you all had a great time. Mom

    ReplyDelete