Monday, March 1, 2010

Garden Update

Can you tell i've never had my own garden before!? I'm so eager to share what little progress we've made this last week. I'm just so excited about our soon to be veggies I can't help but document the growth.
So week #1
We have radishes started! It's true... loads of radishes starting to grow. I have to admit that according to the package they only take 21 days so they seem to be right on schedule. It is such a great feeling though to see them growing, to know that we did something right and soil is decent enough to grow me some foods.

Cucumbers have also started to sprout. Yummy greek salad! Maybe i'm getting a little ahead of myself jumping up and down about some sprouts BUT I love cucumbers. Cucumbers in vinegar, salads, with a tiny dash of salt. Hmmm, now I'm thinking about fried zucchini. Well, that's something for the list of seeds to bring back next home visit!

And everyones favorite vegetable: Broccoli. Our Broccoli's have started to sprout also. Okay, maybe they are weeds since I have no idea what broccoli sprouts look like but I'm optimistic that one day I will be munching on this new growth with a bit of lemon pepper seasoning with a lechon manok (rotisserie chicken), mashed potato's and gravy!
With all this new found motivation tonight we chopped up the potato's we were letting seed a bit and Ryan planted those while Bobbi and I planted chives, oregano, basil and parsley. We did some major weeding and checked on the tomato's Ryan planted last week in a pot. They are also starting to sprout but defiantly not picture worthy yet... that will come next week! We only have 2 rows left, 1 for our tomato's when they are ready to transplant and 1 for our peanuts (which take 3 months until harvest). Tomorrow I am going to buy some raw peanuts at the store and this week we'll be able to sow them! I'm so excited to grow peanuts... who does that!?


1 comment: