Saturday, February 27, 2016

Pill Container Craft Attempt One

BottlesI can remember back in the day when I was in Brownies I had made these broaches out of crayon shavings and pill bottles. I recall them turning out so pretty and I'm not sure if it was because I was 8 or if they really did look amazing. I've wanted to make them with my girls for a while now but didn't really know where to go to find empty prescription pill bottles so it's just been this thought floating around in my brains.
This afternoon the girls and I went to Michaels to walk around and I found these clear plastic containers that are exactly what I've been looking for. I used my 40% off coupon and bought them. In hind sight I should have probably just gone next door to the dollar store and looked there but I'll do that next time!
Anyway, I bought these little containers and sharpened a bunch of crayons to little nubs and decided to test out some oven temperatures. I had googled the craft but came up short of a temperature so I started at 300*. It melted my little crayon shavings and the pill bottle but it took quite a while and I had to get a skewer and mush it up to cover the exposed crayon. I could remember when I had done them with my mom it seemed to warp and take on these funky shapes all on it's own. I thought this was because maybe the oven temperature wasn't high enough but after a second attempt with the girls at 400* it still didn't work out and I was out of containers. I think it's because the plastic was thicker then the prescription containers and so it didn't melt as quickly so I'll have to check out the dollar store and see what they have for options. In the meantime, the ones we made using a wooden skewer to play with the melted plastic looked pretty cool!
meltingFinished

No comments:

Post a Comment