Monday, January 21, 2008

Around the Yard

The appliances that we have here in the Philippines are a little different then what I'm used to and so we use them a little differently then what I knew before. One of the biggest changes for me is the washing machine. You can see by the picture that you visitors from different parts of the world might wonder what exactly it is that you are looking at. Well this is my washing machine!


We use a hose to hook it up to the utility sink in our yard and it slowly fills up the left hand side compartment with water. This section will turn the water and clothes around in the soapy water quite efficeintly and do the cleaning. I then drain the water and put the clothes in the compartment on the right which will spin the majority of the water out of my clothes. I then re-fill the other compartment to rinse the soap out of the clothes only to re-drain it and put the clothes back in the spinner before putting them in the dryer or hanging them on the clothes line. I can really start to work up a sweat doing the laundry and it always feels like i'm doing double but i'm just thankful I'm not doing it by hand!!

So yesterday was laundry day here and as I was draining and switching clothes from one side to the other I kept thinking I was seeing something move but when I would look down all I saw was clothes in water so I thought a sock maybe fell back into the water. Finally out jumps this tree frog who latches onto the side of machine nearly making me scream. I left the poor guy for a bit hoping that he would move on his own. I heard a rumour that tree frogs can blind you if they pee in your eyes!? So on the safe side I was hesitant to move him with my own hands in fear of pee spraying into my eyes. I came back out a couple minutes later to find him moved into the next compartment and looking sick as you can see in the pictures, he looks a bit "sicker" in colour.


Apparently our yard if these fruit bearing trees although other then coconuts and calamansi (lemon like fruit) we had yet to see. Well we finally have a new fruit to be excited about!! There is a bunch of banana's just ripening now! The Philippine banana's I've had are a lot sweeter then the ones I'm used to but they make excellent banana bread so I'm really excited to do some baking with our new found treat!!

8 comments:

  1. Meghan! Did you kill the froggie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just discovered that you have a blog. It is so much fun to keep up with blogs and read the pictures and stories. You are now added to my list of blogs that I enjoy reading. Hope all is well over there. I don't know if I could live someplace for that long away from home. I wouldn't mind visiting or vacationing though. I am jealous of the weather. I would way rather have it warm than cold although I say that not ever experiencing extreme heat and humidity. Arizona I could definitely handle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That frog would have made me pass out with fright!!! It looks so scary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MEGHAN! I keep spelling your name wrong - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan, I can actually say that I feel your pain with the whole laundry ordeal. When we were first married, my grandma gave us her old washer and it was EXACTLY like the one you have. I swore it was the first washing machine EVER MADE. I had to fill it up with a hose, take soaking wet clothes out of the basin, put them into the spinner, hang them up to dry, etc - just like you. I never thought anyone else had to do that. That is hilarious. At least you're getting a workout...

    I would have screamed about the frog, too. Blinding pee, oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would seriously freak out. Love the banana tree by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had that exact same set-up in one of my mission apartments in Japan. It wasn't much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OKay so i would have freaked right out... and by the way sweet washer and dryer...hahah

    ReplyDelete