Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Half Filipino's

Last Friday and a few more days this month the kids have to wear tradition Filipino clothes to school. Every kid in the school does and they all pretty much look the same with only slight variation in coloured skirts or the type of top worn for the girls. The boys wear red katipunero pants with a white shirt and a red handkerchief tied around their necks. It's always nice to see the kids getting excited about doing something different and learning about something new. Brayden's class learned a Filipino song (which he didn't because we were away for the past month) and they got to sing it to another class. It was the funniest thing to hear Brayden try to sing the song in the car on the way from school that day. It reminded me of when I was a little kid and would pretend I knew how to speak chinese and just make these wacky vowel sounding noises. I seriously thought that if someone heard me they would wonder how in the world I knew how to speak Chinese... well that was Brayden on the way home from school Friday. Singing away and completely believing in himself that he knew exactly what he was saying and figured that I was quite impressed with his sudden skills.
Unfortunately when we were shopping for their outfits we couldn't really find anything Maddy's size so she got shoved into the same size smalls that Sydney is in but I think it turned out quite well, don't you!? OH! Brayden's little outfit is missing his read handkerchief which totally makes the outfit.... next week.

4 comments:

  1. CUTE! Can you explain what that white mesh thing the girls are wearing is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know about the white meshy thing too!
    And, do your kids learn to speak any Filipino in school at all? I think that was be soooo cute!
    My friend and I used to walk around the mall pretending to speak French and throwing in a few real words that we had learned... this lady and her daughter walked by and she said "look, there are some little french girls". We thought we wer the BOMB! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. the white mesh thing should originally be made of pineapple fiber as in a "terno", while the males are dressed in red pants and camisa chino... hope brayden wears a barong tagalog...

    also, hope your kids learn how to speak Filipino, that way it can be an advantage when they meet Filipinos in Canada... the more languages they learn, the easier it is for them to pick up French, Italian, even Bahasa...

    ReplyDelete