Thursday, August 26, 2010

Boiled Banana's

Saba Banana'sIt was Filipino Day at SCB (The School for Creative Beginners) and so each of the kids were assigned something Filipino. Brayden was asked to bring 5 pieces of pork BBQ (pork kabob in a different style marinade) along with 5 pandasal buns. Sydney was supposed to bring 10 pieces of agogo (a type of popsicle) but unfortunately she wasn't in a sharing mood and kept them all in her lunch box instead of giving them to her teachers. Madison's class was to bring 10 pieces of boiled saba banana's.
"Boiled banana's!?" I asked confused, "what are boiled banana's?" Teacher Summer explained to me that I needed to go out and buy saba banana's to boil.
"Saba banana's!?" I asked confused, "what are saba banana's?" Again Teacher Summer tried to explain what a saba banana looks like. It didn't take too long before she told me that all I had to do was go to the market and tell them I needed the banana's that I boil and they would know what I was talking about.
Okay! Easy. I can do that. "SO, how do you boil them, in their skins?" I often wonder to myself how often these teachers laugh at me behind my back... off topic a bit but an example of why they might laugh at me: The other day I was helping Sydney with her homework. There was a picture of something and then a few different letters beside the picture. She was to listen to the name of the picture and then choose the letter which started the word. Well she completed all but 2 because I had no idea what the pictures were of! One was a fruit I was sure started with an 'A' but couldn't be sure so we left it blank and the other was a coconut which after Teacher Tina pointed out that fact seemed obvious. All I could do was leave her homework unfinished with question marks next to the pictures because as a 30 year old white lady, I'm not smart enough to complete it.
Alright, back on topic. How do you boil saba banana's? In their skins of course for 30-45 minutes. I doubted! But I was obedient so that if they didn't turn out there was someone else to blame. I boiled them for 30 minutes and cracked one of the extra open and it was rock hard! Could not stick my fork into it so in they went for another 30 minutes. I tasted it. It was like a potato, taste and texture. I dipped it in loads of sugar and it wasn't so bad.

12 Boiling Saba'sBoiled Saba Banana
SO! Filipino day 2010, success! I have learned how to boil banana's and Brayden came home telling me that the Philippine national food is PIG and they call it Lechon. It's always comforting to know he's listening!

2 comments:

  1. mmmm Lechon. I can't say I've ever had boiled bananas, but fried bananas are delicious! I miss pandesal! I miss so many foods from the philippines. enjoy it all for me!
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some how that just does not sound that ap-pealing...get it Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete