Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Poop, The Highlight Of My Day

The middle of last week I decided to go ahead and start helping Madison figure out this potty business. I thought that if I put her in underwear for a few days she would figure out that pee feeling and realize how uncomfortable it is to hang out in soggy underwear. I had a stash of her favourite candies on hand and thought that if I could get her to pee on the potty and reward her I might be able to see some sort of progress out of it. I mopped up a lot of pee that first day and it was clear she could've cared less about the candy.
What surprised me was the next day. I sat her on the potty, her choice from the big or pink potty, and when she sat on it she would push out some pee. We had a party and we all celebrated and she ate up that candy and loved every second of it. That was the turning point. Since then we've made it 5 days inclusive of public outings (the longest being 3 hours of church and during that 3 hours 2 times in the public toilet) with only one accident in her underwear. The problem is that she won't poop! She waits until her nap when I put her diaper on her and poops. After her nap she gets back into her underwear and it back on the potty again. Also, I have to ask her if she needs to use the potty, she doesn't come to me and ask to use it. She does however say "NO" when she doesn't have to pee and runs to the potty after I ask if she does need to use it. I'm hoping the going on her own will come on it's own.
One funny thing is she thinks that farts are poops. The first time she was sitting on the big toilet and trying to push out her pee and she forces out this huge fart which was so loud vibrating the toilet bowl. Her eyes got so huge and she says in a deep voice "BIG poop" and jumps off to take a look in the toilet. Her face when she saw the toilet was empty was so funny, she was so shocked to see nothing in there her brain trying to figure it all out.

Tonight after dinner we were playing a family game of cards and as we were finishing up Ryan asked Maddy to go to the toilet and off she runs ripping off her underwear and sits on her little potty. After a quick pee she decides she wants to sit on the big potty so I go with her and help her up. She sits down and kind of makes her pee face. Her brows furrow a bit and she gets all serious and still and pushes a little bit. This time she starts farting and she's getting all excited. Because they were little farts, more like toots, she's excitedly saying "baby poops" and I'm answering "ya, ya, ya" as i'm brushing my teeth and settling down for the night. I finally go and take a peek in the toilet to decide whether to get her off and into her pajama's or let her keep tooting happily and I find out she's actually pooping. FINALLY!
Who knows if it was a lucky chance or if it's a turning point but I'm going to take it and enjoy the success of changing one less poopy diaper. So cheers to the little successes of parenthood!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment