Friday, August 3, 2012

Summer Vacay - Day 36: Masters of Disguise

Mask FunToday the kids picked out some faces they liked and we made some masks. What I thought was going to be a simple activity turned into a 2 hour creation period. I didn't think too far in advance, if I had I would have realized the kids would struggle cutting through the plates so only one mask could be cut at a time by myself. This wasn't too big of a deal except that it was getting near to dinner and so I was trying to juggle dinner prep and 3 masks. The kids were amazingly patient as they watched me work through one mask to the other. Thankfully Ryan got home from work and jumped right into professional cutter helping me out. First we needed to find our masks. I did a Google image search for their requests and came up with a nice Wolverine mask and an equally perfect Hello Kitty face that needed minimal resizing in Photoshop (Maddy's head is smaller then Sydney's so I made two different sizes). We printed them off on regular white paper and cut out the image. Once the image was cut out we pasted them onto paper plates to add the perfect strength reinforcement so they wouldn't break or bend. After cutting out the pasted mask we poked small holes and attached elastic string to keep them around their little heads. Success. The masks fit great and the paper plates were strong enough to keep the holes from ripping and the masks from bending and tearing from little fingers manhandling. The kids look good, don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment