Friday, March 11, 2011

Favorite Canadian Treat

Beaver TailI love Beaver Tails. Have you ever had them? It's a thin slab of fried bread smeared with toppings, traditionally, melted better and cinnamon sugar. YUM! This is one of my all time favorite treats. I can not go to Vancouver and not get one. It's pretty much the same thing as the elephant ears you get at Whoop Up Days in Lethbridge. Now these Beaver Tails stores sell them with all sorts of toppings, fruits, smoked salmon and cream cheese, sour cream and chives! But for me, it's always the classic. They call them Beaver Tails because they look just like a beaver tail, pretty self explanatory if you've ever seen a beaver.
So we're driving in the car and Brayden starts talking about the next time we go to Canada he will get a Beaver Tail. This is such a random thought but when it comes to Brayden, these thoughts just come to him. Last time we went home (July) we stopped in Vancouver for a week to spend time with my family. We went to Lonsdale Quay and in the little market I treated myself to a Beaver Tail. Brayden and Sydney both opted for a crepe, a decision they quickly regretted as I allowed each of them a small taste of my delicacy. Sadly they couldn't switch their choice as I had tried before they ordered to side with me and order Beaver Tails making it crystal clear that what they ordered is what they would eat. I don't know at what age, if any, children realize that mother knows best...
So back to the car: Brayden tells us next time we're in Canada he will get the Beaver Tail. My mouth starts watering as I join him in sweet remembrance. "Yes Brayd, those are so good!" Ryan pipes up saying that we should just make our own. I quickly agree "OH, YA!" thinking this is a fantastic idea and that we haven't had fried bread for months. Brayden gets a little excited and 100% serious says "yes, first we just need to go and find a beaver."
UM, whatever you say Brayden but if a real beaver's tail tastes that good I cannot wait to try the rest of it.

Beaver

2 comments:

  1. Did the place in Lonsdale Quay seriously let you put salmon and other goodies on it!?? I think I would have much rather with the original...

    Good luck with the beaver hunting (and post pictures if you do make 'em)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh we totally need to have a big "fry bread/scone" pig out one of these days. i have been craving them forever too.....since the dream. So YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete