Saturday, November 13, 2010

Always Expand Your Talents

The resort in our subdivision gave me a call earlier in the week inviting me to register my kids in a workshop they were offering. In this workshop the children would paint their own shirts using silk screening, they just had to bring a white t-shirt with them. Personally, my kids learning silk screen t-shirt printing isn't high on my list of things to teach young children but it was on a Saturday morning while Ryan was sleeping so it would give us something to do and leave the house quiet for him.
Saturday morning off we walked down the street with our white t-shirts ready to be printed. I had no idea what to expect and I thought it might be best to arrive with low expectations. When we got there they had a little spot set aside for the kids that were attending and they coloured some mask pictures and ate Stick-o's until they were ready to teach the kids. They got a wooden frame with a pre-cut piece of silk screen to tack onto the frame. Since the kids were all Brayden's age and younger we, as guardians, were suggested to assist the children to make sure they weren't hurt playing with the tacks while the children attached the screen to the frame themselves. Painfully each child got their turn sticking tacks into the frame with assistants (that wood was super hard) and we moved onto watching the workshop leaders show the youth how to cut out the 'I' for the design using a exacto knife. The thought crossed my mind 'am I a good parent having my children attend a workshop that is encouraging them to play with thumb tacks and exacto knife's?' After the cutting demonstration the painting began. The kids blobbed on paint and then smoothed it out over the screen pushing the paint thinly through to the shirt then again waited for that to dry before moving onto the next colour.
Brayden PaintingSydney's Shirt

Silk Screened ShirtsThe kids seemed to really enjoy what they were doing and were so proud of their finished project so I'm glad we went. I think that it would have probably been a little better if orientated to a group of children a few years older but now my kids have a talent I never thought they would have. The best part ... they are going to have a part 2 where the kids will be able to do it again but with a different design! I have to give credit to Palmas Del Mar, they do try. Plus it's amazingly nice in there with the swimming pools off the ocean. We do love living in this subdivision far more then anywhere else in the city and it's so quiet and safe. My kids can ride their bikes in the street without me worrying about the traffic, they play around in the basketball court that is right in our backyard and we have our huge garden made out of the empty lot beside us. It's really perfect for us, we do love it and now the kids have shirts to show the world our love for Palmas Del Mar Resort and Sub Division.
Next Saturday they are having another workshop, a face painting workshop. Now that sounds like fun!

1 comment:

  1. I love the shirts they are beautiful...A new career for both of them

    ReplyDelete