Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Can Fly, I Can Fly, I Can Fly

Madison is a fairly brave little girl. She will follow Brayden and Sydney through thorns and rocks, jump off anything they jump off of and take off in a mad sprint in fear she'll loose them. She's quiet around new faces but is really getting over that shyness.
Today her class got to go to the old airport. The runway is literally right next door ... well maybe 5 lots away. They shut the airport down and opened a new international airport further north on the Island so now the runway is used for remote planes and drag racing. They have kept a couple small planes, one seats 2 and the other looks like it fits 4. The kids were able to climb in the planes and play around with the controls. She loved looking out the window at me, swirling the steering wheel around and making the wing flaps move up and down. I ended up actually having quite a hard time getting her out of one. She kept hiding in the back seat where I couldn't reach her, sneaky little thing. Then when I go to the back of the plane to pull her out she would climb over the seat back up to the front. Finally I had to be sneaky and crawl under the plane where she couldn't see me and quickly rip her out of the plane. Thankfully at this point everyone was heading inside for a quick lecture so there weren't witnesses to my perfect child's disobedience.

Airplane WingTrapped Inside

Remote Control AirplanesAfter they climbed around the planes and learned a little bit about them they went out to the runway to watch a few knee high remote control airplanes take off, fly around and then land. As soon as the first planes engine started to buzz Maddy started to freak out. She kept looking at me with these terrified eyes and would wave to the plane while pleading with me "bye bye, bye bye." She did not like it at all. When it started rolling down the runway towards us she gripped me so tight and I could feel her shaking! She was really terrified. I tried to make her feel reassured and make it exciting which probably kept her from crying or screaming but she kept asking me "bye bye, bye bye" and would wrap her legs around me so tight it was starting to hurt. I held her close and tried to rub her back trying to sooth her trembling but it didn't work. Although it was really cool we had to walk back quite a distance before she loosened her grip and relaxed. I'm not too sure what it was that freaked her out but she obviously does not like miniature planes that fly.

2 comments:

  1. She looks so sad in the first picture? Funny story about her hiding on you in the plane!

    ReplyDelete