Friday, January 14, 2011

How Do You Like Them Apples?

CornOne thing that really sucks here in the Philippines is the size of the produce. It's like mini veggies. Even when we tried growing things in our garden the green peppers are so cute, like little babies. Our tomato's all looked like cherry tomato's and all our cobs of corn were Maddy sized. Actually the only thing that seemed to come out regular size was the cucumbers.
Last time we were in Canada I was shopping at the Superstore and picking up some veg. There was a Filipino family also shopping and I quickly jumped to the conclusion that they were pretty new immigrants. What made me jump to this conclusion!? They were wide eyed looking at the HUGE green peppers, onions and tomato's saying in awe "GRABE, GRABE!" which is said like grab-i and translated to english means: "WOW, AMAZING." I chuckled to myself partly because I know exactly what they were thinking about our giant sized vegetables and partly because I was so pleased to eaves drop a little into a foreign conversation.

During our recent travels we ran into some amazingly sized apples. They were huge, the biggest i've ever seen. This time it was my turn to say "grabe" and take a picture:
Red Apple

Pringles FlavoursI love shopping in grocery stores in different parts of the world. It's always so fun to see the different products that they carry like the shrimp flavoured Pringles or the crazy finds in the meat section. The other day we were checking out pig ear drums, yummy. I think one of the best we've seen were the fried maggots and grasshoppers or baby chicks. Although we get to see all these wonderful delicacies, Ryan and I are quite cautious about what we do eat so unfortunately fortunately we haven't really tried most of these things we just like to take pictures of them. Our next adventure will take us to Singapore for the second time and I'm looking forward to roaming the aisles of a grocery store and checking out the cool foods we can find in Little India and Chinatown! Hopefully we'll find something picture worthy for our collection that I can share with you!

Fried ChicksGarnished Maggots

3 comments:

  1. meghan I love the new heading of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan you should have seen the types of chips over in the UK and Ireland. some of the names i can remeber are Cajun squirrel, crispy duck hoisn, t-bone steak ..

    ReplyDelete