Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome to Chiang Mai

TrainChiang Mai Train Station
We arrived in Chiang Mai around 7:30am Sunday morning. I was amazed at the difference in temperature from Bangkok (which was similar to the Philippines). I was so cold! We were up further north and in the mountains a bit so it was expected and I found it so refreshing. It was like a September morning and it was great to be outside in the warm sun but not sweating buckets from the humidity at the same time. Such a treat to actually be able to wear my hair down all day long and not have that sticky wet feeling bugging me. I also just want to clarify that this cooler temperature was around 22*C so it was still nice and warm, just not the warm I've grown used to.
We arrived at the hotel which was happy to store our luggage for us until check in time later that afternoon so after making some Christmas calls home we decided to go out exploring. We made our way down to the older part of the city and walked along the original city boundary wall admiring and exploring all the old buddhist temples. They were so beautiful with incredible detail to colour and design. The kids also seemed to enjoy running around and checking out the different dragons and serpents that each temple was decorated with. They knew to take of their shoes, kneel down and show reverence when they wanted to go inside and they kept up with us the whole day as we walked from temple to temple.
Old Chiang Mai City WallBuddist Temple
We stopped off in some restaurant off the side of the road for our first authentic Thai meal and it was so delicious. Even the kids seemed really happy with what ended up on their plate (or just grateful that we were able to find something not spicy on the menu for them). The spices they used were flavourful and all these amazing fresh vegetables in each dish. That's one thing the Philippines does not do... vegetables. They just can't really grow them, they are pricey and no one eats them. It was so yummy and different then what i've ever had before. It was the perfect meal to fuel us for a couple more blocks and a few more temples.
Chilling on the DragonRoad Side View
We slowly made our way back to the hotel and again I have to mention how amazing it was to walk all day in the warm sun and not melt away! The kids were able to go go go all day long and no one was soaking wet at the end of the day. We ate a quick dinner, made plans for the next day and it was early to bed for us after all that exploring.
One thing that never got old was seeing these monks walking around in their orange robes and then having them whip out their cell phone or mp3 player. It just seemed to go against my naive view of them constantly meditating in these temples but I guess they have to get around just the same as everyone else!
Kids and a Monk
P.S. 7-11's are amazing. I love them. Maybe it's just that familiarity of them or the promise of a slurpee that sign brings. I wish they had them here in Bacolod because it's hot enough I'm sure I would be a frequent slurpee drinker. When I saw one just down the street from the hotel how excited I was! We went to pick up a couple of things and while I was getting a few essentials Ryan went to the back where the slurpee machines were and came back looking so excited and telling me to go and check out the flavours. Ohhh, my mouth was watering and I grabbed what I needed and made my way to that far corner of the store. OH, to my disappointment they were the most disgusting flavours ever! Creamy strawberry, coffee and something else I can't even remember I was too sad to really take it in. Where was the cream soda flavour? The sour green apple? Anything familiar!? BOO
Clicking "here" will take you to the photo album with most of our pictures of all the beautiful temples we saw that day in Chiang Mai. Definitely worth the look!

No comments:

Post a Comment