Monday, April 25, 2011

Recycling Beattie Style

For those of you who didn't know me when I was younger I used to be a Brownie and my mom was one of the leaders right through all those years of brown dresses, orange scarfs and yes, even brown underwear for both my sister and I. We did lots of fun crafts, camps and stuff like that but one of the crafts I remember the most is shrinking chip bags. I had attempted this once before with my kids but it didn't turn out. Something about fire blazing in the oven ... not too sure :S
Anyway, I decided to save chip bags to try again. The problem was that our chip intake has severely decreased and so it's taken quite a long time for me to find the perfect specimen. Finally ... we have it. What we did was wash out the chip bag so all the chip crumbs and oils are out of the bag and then we gently dried it with a paper towel. We then carefully placed the bag on a greased piece of tin foil covering the baking sheet and put it into an oven set around 350*F and sat there, watching and waiting:
Ready For Magic Time?The Wating Game
Within a minute our chip bag started to shrink up. I think we kept it in the oven for 5 minutes before pulling it out to find this:
Mini Chip Bag
This works WAY better with those small bag of chips! You can make them into earrings, I know, I know! TOO COOL. So next grocery shopping trip I'm going to buy a couple of the small bags for the kids and we're going to have an oven party! I'll let you know how they turn out, the kids have already polished off some chips and we've safely put them into storage waiting.

3 comments:

  1. That bag would make an awesome earring! (If your name is Jack Sparrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Totally - I'm not sure about wearing them as earrings...

    I love how the little one's squating with the rest of you. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I think that is how the big bag came out, not how the little bags do. She was going to try that next...

    ReplyDelete