Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Saturday

This year we broke Easter up into a two day affair. I really wanted my kids to understand the role that Jesus plays in Easter but not take away the fun that most people do to celebrate the weekend. I thought about it and decided to separate the two. SO, on Saturday we celebrated Easter in the sense of spring. We decorated eggs, went for a nice walk outside as a family, shrunk our chip bags and had a dance party. Before lunch I sat my kids down and taught them about Spring. They haven't really experienced season's before, all they know is snow and sweat so to talk to them about rain and why it's important, and baby animals was interesting. I pretty much got a lot of blank stares and loud animal noises from an excited Madison but that's about it. I also told them that tomorrow the Easter Bunny would not be visiting our house. Wow, this did cause a reaction... big sad shocked eyes. I explained that Sunday wasn't about a rabbit but about the importance of Jesus' resurrection and that because of this event we can all live together as an eternal family. I said tomorrow we were reserving for Jesus. Still big shocked eyes so I just said "look, tomorrow is about Jesus, not the Easter Bunny. You'll just have to wait until we get to Canada and Nana and Papa are going to hide your Easter candy then." Well, off they ran happy as could be and the crisis was adverted. I hope Nana is taking notes and I'm really happy she showed them some Easter candy the day before so I had something back up my story.
Blue and Yellow makes GreenHard at Work
So as I mentioned we decorated our eggs Saturday. It was fun. Brayden and Sydney knew exactly what to do and Brayden brought up the really pretty eggs that Auntie Kait made that one year. Seriously, this kid and him memory! That was 3 years ago! Maddy just was obsessed with making her egg yellow screaming at us "lellow, lellow" not wanting to share the colour with anyone else until finally we just grabbed her yellow egg and dumped it into blue and watched it turn green.
So what do you do after you make your eggs?? Well if you're my kids you eat your eggs.
Painted EggsSnack Time

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad Brayden thought my eggs were pretty! I can't believe that was 3 yrs ago already - man, that means he was only 3 when we did that! You're right, that kid has an amazing memory! And he must have an intense love for eggs if he wants to eat them afterwards... hahaha!

    ReplyDelete