Tuesday, April 23, 2013

St. Lucia and Zip Lines

Today we planned on going zip lining through the rain forests but it wasn't until the afternoon so that left us the morning to explore a little bit. We started walking into the city to find a little market and see what there was to offer. Thankfully it was overcast and looking like rain so I didn't have to worry about my poor burn. We soon found a little market with a bunch of shops and walked around for a while. After the market we found a taxi driver that was willing to take us up the mountain a bit and show us a little of the interior of the island. Off we went up the mountain until we reached a little wood carving shop where we had a tour and learned a little bit about the islands traditions. Unlike the market that seemed to have all the same things you find no matter where in the world you are, this little shop had unique carvings and trinkets I hadn't seen before. We left with a small stick off cocoa we can grate into some heated milk with cinnamon and nutmeg on a cold day.
Our ShipBoat View
Our taxi driver took us back into the city and let us out but not before telling us that if we ever needed any kind of smoke he was the one that could get it to us. I guess he has himself a little side line.
We made our way back to the boat and gorged ourselves again at the buffet. I would like to know why it is that when someone else makes me a sandwich it always tastes better then when I make it for myself. I am addicted to the deli sandwiches they make for you.
After lunch we headed by boat south to the town Soufriere. It was established by the french and they still have the little square in the town where the guillotine used to be. The boat ride was pretty with the view from the water and the rain clouds hanging out on the tops of the mountains.
Rain Forest MountainsSoufriere

Geared UpFrom the boat we took vans up the mountain to where we would be zip lining. We all got hooked up with our cords, helmets and gloves before a quick safety pep talk and away we went. It was a series of about 8 lines which took us through the forest. I was amazed at the amount of bamboo I was seeing because I hadn't really noticed it being used anywhere unlike the Philippines where it seemed like almost anything was made out of Bamboo, the houses, fences, furniture, boats and more. My mouth was also watering at the amount of mangos that were hanging in the trees. If they weren't green I would have been tempted to do some crazy tarzan moves to swing up and grab a few, that and the fact that we aren't allowed to bring any food on or off the boat. Anyway, I'm not too sure how long it took us to get through all the zip lines because I was loving the views; the Piton Mountains, the ocean and the forest.

After we made our way back down the mountain to Soufriere where we waited for the boat to come and take us back to the ship. We walked a little while we waited meeting some little school kids walking home. I was actually able to use my very small retained french education to my advantage when I understood one of the cute little boys ask us how we were. I responded in french and got a big grin in return.
School GirlsLittle Boy
Ryan of course had to make friends with one of the locals who had become the town crazy. He told Ryan a little of the history of the town before Ryan asked if he could give Ryan his best Snoop Dogg impression.
Finally the boat came for us and we took off back towards Castries where our ship was at port. It seemed that Ryan and I were the only ones on this little boat who weren't there for the free rum and so we passed on the crazy dancing that was going on and just enjoyed the free show while watching the famous Piton Mountains escape our view.
Snoop Dogg WannabeThe Piton Mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment