Saturday, April 27, 2013

Disembarkment Day

RainbowThis morning we woke up to our last veranda sitting before breakfast and it was like the sky new it as it showed off a rainbow over San Juan. While we were standing looking down into the water we saw this blog swimming by. It was the strangest thing and we couldn't figure out what it was. It was sort of the colour of a dolphin with that same shiny skin but there was no dorsal fin. I quickly ran inside to get the camera and took a couple of lame pictures and that was that. We left our room for the last time and headed to the buffet for breakfast.
After laying in the lounge chairs until our turn to leave the ship I started to get a knot in my stomach. What am I going to do now? I have to worry about preparing food again, I was leaving my comfort zone and I still had a couple of days in Puerto Rico to go before I got home to see my kids. How quickly I had grown comfortable in our cruise boat bubble. We now had a full day ahead of us and nothing to do with it.
We dropped our luggage off at the hotel, checked in with the kids and walked around Old San Juan. We hopped on one of the free trolleys to see where it would take us and we watched as the beautiful scenery flew by. We got off at a ferry port and walked inside. Along one of the walls were a list of animals found around the area where the salt water mixes with the fresh water run off from the island and we were looking at all the different species and there it was! The animal we had seen early this morning from our room ... a MANATEE. Yes, we have seen a real live manatee. Had I know what it was I would have tried harder to get a picture of the blob in the water.

Puerto Rican SeniorsLater in the evening when the sun started to go down Ryan and I made our way to a little courtyard area where there had been some street fenders set up earlier. We grabbed some food and sat down to watch people when we noticed there was a huge group of people setting up their lawn chairs by a stage. We were curious so we walked over and noticed a band setting up and an empty bench so we sat down to watch the show. After a while we noticed that the crowd was all quite old and a lot of them had brought their own instruments. There were sticks, tambourines, and maracas. A couple came to sit down beside us and explained that every Saturday night they play Spanish music and have an open mic where people can get up and sing. In fact our new friend had serenaded her husband just last week. They introduced us to teh crowd as celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and they pulled us up and made us dance before letting us sit back down.
It was a fun night and the music was good. There was an older gentleman dressed up in his slacks, a nice button-up shirt and hat like my Papa used to wear and he had some great moves.

Rys Dance MovesThe Band

No comments:

Post a Comment