Friday, November 11, 2011

The Price They Pay

I think that one of my talents is my compassion. I used to be a little embarrassed about how I would cry at a Hallmark commercial or random tears would form in my eyes while I watched an elderly person walk solo past my house everyday thinking that he might be on his own having already buried his long time companion. Now I guess I've just come to except the fact that I'm a cryer. Often upon hearing bad news I don't know what to do to help or what words of wisdom to offer but I can easily share my tears.
I think that as we get older and gain more life time experiences compassion grows. I also think appreciation for life and our blessings, big and small, becomes deeper. We realize how precious life is, how rare perfect health is becoming and that sometimes we have to sacrifice the things we want for the needs of others. I think i've learned the last since becoming a mother. Parents often sacrifice for their children's safety, health and happiness, but today I don't want to talk about me as a parent; I want to thank those strangers who have fought and sacrificed for me to be free.
I look at my little boy, his freckles, his genuine smile and how he tilts his head to the side when making a goofy grin, his desire to learn and never ending questions. He has a thirst for knowledge and life. I can not imagine sending him off to war. To fight for me, for a stranger, to witness death that way, watching friends and enemies fall by the hands of others and taking away his sweet innocence. I think of Ryan, my rock. I think of those strong women who have said good bye to their husbands and stayed strong for their children knowing the battle their husbands are walking into. My heart aches knowing that some men never make it home and those that have are most likely forever changed.
Canada is a beautiful country. Rocky Mountains, prairies, beautiful lakes and forests. People (mostly American's) make fun of our kindness and politeness but I'm proud to be seen that way. I'm proud to be Canadian because my country is beautiful, diverse, accepting (for the most part) and free. "True North, strong and free."
I'm am SO thankful for the opportunity to set aside a moment today on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month to think off all those who sacrificed their lives, do sacrifice their lives so that my family is free. I'm grateful for those mothers who let their sons leave, those wives who somehow made it through so that I can be a mother to my three amazing children in such an amazing country. Life as I know it is because of those who fought. I'm sure many of you have had family fight for our freedom and today I feel proud to know that someone in my family sacrificed because he loved his wife and son enough to fight for their freedom.
So on Remembrance Day I'd like to say "Lest We Forget."

1 comment: