Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Something Colourful For Dinner Tonight

LobstersThis morning my doorbell rings. Automatically I know it's not a friend because our friends now know to come through the property gate and up to the door to knock, strangers stay outside on the road and ring the bell. Usually when that happens it's the water delivery guys dropping off my water jugs so I just asked Brayden to go outside to the gate and see who it was. A few seconds later Brayden comes to the door and tells me it's a brown guy in a truck which means it's someone Brayden doesn't recognize at all. I go outside to see who it is expecting maybe a person dropping off a bill or something like that but instead I see this man and his son carrying a styrofoam cooler telling me he has crabs and lobsters for sale. We used to get these people all the time to our house selling their crabs, fish, prawns, squid but I rarely buy and so they just stop coming so I was a little surprised to see him there. I tell him I'll take a look at what he's got because the kids always love a good petting zoo so he puts down his cooler and we see these amazing coloured lobster. I've seen these lobsters before in Boracay and have been told they are from Palawan, the very most western island in the Philippines so they are quite expensive having come so far. I ask how much and he names his price which was cheap cheap (or cheap for me) so I told the guy I'd take his two biggest. He gets out his scale and tries to place the lobsters in the dish while the lobsters are freaking out and trying to crawl out with their antena things flying all over the place. The kids start panicking a bit and we all take a step back while he finally gets the lobsters to stay long enough to weigh them. The strange thing was that the guy brings a scale with him but it isn't working so he asks to borrow mine. I tried to tell the guy that I didn't have a scale inside and he was genuinely shocked. I guess that is a necessity!? So away he goes to get his other one and returns, I pay the guy, off he goes and inside we head to find a pot big enough to keep the lobsters moist in until dinner.

ScaleTaking a Closer Look
The kids poke around for a bit until they get bored and into the fridge the lobsters go. Around dinner time I start to prepare them making a nice broth to steam them with (salt, dill, bay leaves, onion, water and pepper) and forcefully fit them into my small steamer tray for the rice cooker. While they steam away I make my lemon, garlic butter with a bit of dill to dip them in after they are done. They turn out pretty good but I have to say they aren't nearly as pretty cooked as they are raw.
Ready to CookReady to Serve

1 comment:

  1. YUM! You're right - they're not nearly as pretty cooked.

    I think it's neat that you can have your dinner delivered right to your door!

    ReplyDelete