Thursday, July 22, 2010

DINOSAURS!

As part of the Moffat family time this summer we went to the Royal Tyrell Dinosaur Museum up in Drumheller. It was so interesting to see all these dinosaur bones put together. I have no idea how they can find bones and piece them together like a puzzle. We walked through the entire museum looking at different period's in time and reading about the different animals and environments they lived in. Alberta, our province, used to be covered in water and corals and slowly it turned into these dry fertile prairies. The best part was where all the dinosaurs were pieced together and set up. The painted background was the same as the bone placement so that you could visualize what the dinosaurs looked like walking around.
T-RexDinner
The kids seemed to enjoy running around and looking at the different looking dino's. I think that Brayden really enjoyed this one dinosaur whose head resembled Elvis' hair. They had big T-Rex's and tiny little baby dinosaurs complete. I was surprised at how small the rapture dinosaurs were considering how dangerous they were (or as I remember them being in Jurrasic Park, hehe) but as Kait pointed out to me they hunted in packs so they didn't need to be big.
DinosaurSea Creature
After our walk through the museum we took a journey through the badlands. It was really pretty through the different hills, the colours from the different sediments all lined up like a rainbow. As you are following the trails through the badlands there are signs asking you to stay on the trail so we had to keep on the kids because they wanted to run around and look at the cactus or draw in the untouched spots of mud. The bummer of it was when I went off the trail to try to get this amazing yellow sunflower with the rich blue sky as the background. I took a running jump at the steep hill the flower was on and landed in a silky pile of mud and slid down getting mud all down my arms and pants in my effort to save the camera. *sigh* If I had only been able to get the picture it would have been worth it.... next time I suppose.
BadlandsSunflowers

No comments:

Post a Comment