Thursday, August 18, 2011

And Hello There Yellowstone

We took a little trip, just the 5 of us, to get some nice good quality time together before school started and Ryan went back to the Philippines. We were heading down to Idaho/Utah for a family wedding and so we left a few days early and went to Yellowstone National Park. I had never been before but Ryan's curiosity was sparked as he drove past the exits on his way from Montreal. I'm not too sure what I expected but it was not what we got. We pulled up to the national park entrance and paid our $25 fee and off we went ... in Yellowstone.
YellowstoneBeware
We entered in the north entrance to the park and headed southwest. We stopped at one of the first points of interest on the map because the kids were getting anxious and it looked cool. It was the Mammoth Hotspring Terraces and they were HUGE. They were so white from the calcium carbonate the is continually forming and reshaping the landscape. It was blinding the same way snow is on a clear bright sunny day. The further down the terraces we got the darker the stone became taking on this orange glow. It was so pretty with the mountains and blue skies in the backgroud!
Mammoth Hotspring TerracesCalcium Carbonate Rock
As we drove from point to point I was awed by the views out my window. The colours were so vibrant I couldn't catch them with my camera lens the way I wanted to. The air was warm and clean and it was something I hadn't seen for so long, something so different then the tropical jungle I was used to covering mountains. I was a little bummed we didn't see a bear because I really wanted to BUT we did see a wild roaming buffalo and that was super cool!
Roadside ViewBuffalo
Our last stop in the park was Old Faithful. You cannot go to Yellowstone National Park and not see him blow! So we did and it was pretty neat. Not to sound corny but it's something you gotta see, one of the things on the list. For example a few things on our list are: eat a hotdog from a vender on a NY city street, go on an African safari, and visit South America. So Old Faithful, crossed off the list.
Old FaithfulOld Faithful
So if you go by Yellowstone, most definitely take the time to venture around the park. It's quite the drive but we only saw a corner of the park and it was incredible. I would go back for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment