Monday, February 14, 2011

My Newest Challenge

Crazy LettuceI have blogged about our garden and the different things that we've planted in it. We've had failures and successes. Right now I'd have to admit that the garden is one big failure. After Christmas we had a month of good hard rains and our entire garden flooded and with that most of our stuff died. We had a few things that seemed to thrive in the rain, our papaya trees are still growing, the chili pepper tree is still producing and our lettuce! I think we used lettuce from the garden one time because it kind of tasted weird. I never got rid of it because it's hard to kill something you helped create so I just left it along with the rest of the garden to fend for itself and it has strived! It pretty much has turned into bushes! The weeds have taken over and the ground is now hard but I'm so unmotivated to do anything about it because we're moving within the next 3ish months and so I don't think i'd even be around to eat what I plant.
With that being said there are a few things that I have never been able to grow. My cilantro (coriander) and dill. They are both extremely hard to find here but either my seeds don't sprout or the climate destroys the little seedlings. At one point I even had these crazy flying bugs dig nests into my herb garden and my little herbs died. Tragic really. SO, I found some new seeds while we were in Thailand and I came home determined to not be a complete failure in the herb department. I mixed in some coffee grounds I snagged from Starbucks into my soil, planted my little seeds and covered it with a mesh netting. I relocated it to an area that got minimal sun and out of the hard rains and I waited. I would pull my little plants out during the morning so they could get the warm sun and put them back up against the house in the late afternoon. Soon I had dozens of sprouts. Now all I had to do was keep them alive. I would cover them with the mesh netting to keep the bugs out and check up on them every day. Well 2 1/2 weeks after planting I finally have the startings of real herbs. There are leaves on my coriander that actually look like cilantro and I have little dill pieces! Hopefully now I can keep them alive long enough to make some yummy meals with them in a few weeks time.

Baby Cilantro'sBaby Dill
I do however feel there is room for improvement. I shouldn't have planted the whole pot at once! Now i'm going to have tonnes of dill and cilantro all at once! And then, nothing. Didn't really think to far in advance with that one, at least I'll know for next time!

1 comment:

  1. ohhhhhhh very exciting!!!
    fingers crossed that they survive & you get to enjoy them, yum!

    ReplyDelete