Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Humble Filipino

I always thought that you were supposed to feel good after doing something good for others. I don't know if I've ever mentioned the orphanage that Focus sponsers. It's run by nuns and filled with all these little kids who are so cute and always smiling up at you. I've only been a couple of times and each time I leave so upset with the situation. I just can't figure out why some of us get the oppertunity to be born into stable loving homes in a country where we are free to make a life of our choosing and some of us are put in positions where we won't ever know what it is like to be free like that.

I just had a simular feeling earlier this week. We went to visit a couple members from church, some single mom families where in both cases they are widows with young kids still at home. I feel the need to describe how some of these people live so that the rest of us can understand how blessed we are. The one family lives in a bamboo room on stilts that is open to the cluttered streets and homes around. We arrived in the dark and even before we could see them we were greeted warmly. We took with us some small things like a tiny bit of rice and noodles and we were informed it was there only food they had, now they could eat. The daughter and mom were both sick, the Grandma has cancer and they all live together in this little room with no means to get medicine. The sick mother still had to do all the household chores since there was no one else there to help. To see how thankfull for the little that we gave just made me feel sick. It made me wonder our whole way home, why??

I have that strong knowledge that we are never given a trial that we cannot overcome and it just makes me admire the strength of the all these beautiful people that surround me. I guess many of them don't know any different but it is so frustrating to think that there is no way out for them. They struggle to get enough money just to eat a meal a day let alone save enough money for a decent education for their children where even that just guarantees them a job at a department store or as a taxi driver.
I hope that when the time comes for Ryan and I to come back to North America I can bring these feelings back with me, that I don't forget them. I want to always remember how blessed I am to be given all the oppertunities I have, the family I have and the chance to do and be anyone I want to be. It just makes my heart ache for all those who don't have those things. They are so friendly, happy and generous, always helping eachother out even when they don't have anything to give. They are such an example to me, they put the important things of life in prospective and make me realize that I can always do more to help...

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say it, but you may forget those feelings when you're back home. I felt the same way. The key is to keep in touch with some of the people. By keeping in touch with them, you will better remember them, and in turn remember the situations of them and those around them. That's why I love that you are there. it gives me a chance to remember too. I really do get homesick and wish that there was so much more that I could do. I love the Filipino people. Thank you for helping me remember and reminding me that there is more I can do.

    ReplyDelete