Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The "ber" Months

I guess September officially marks the start of the "ber" months. I know in Canada September means back to school, cooling evenings and even the start of the leaves on trees turning yellow and amber. Here in the Philippines the kids have been back at school since June, the evenings defiantly aren't feeling any cooler to me and the trees are still the same brilliant green they always are. I guess here on Negros Island the sugar cane is getting ready to be harvested and is looking pretty tall in the fields! In Bacolod City it means that only 1 more month until the Masskara Festival starts. The bright flashy masks have made their way onto the displays in the department stores and I can't wait for those huge metal shipping crates from Negros Navigation Shipping tbe placed in the corners of downtown to act as the drunk tank throughout October. But here in the Philippines the one thing that the "ber" months mark is the beginning of Christmas. Who can do Christmas better then a people who celebrate it for 4 months of the year!? Back home I can remember feeling sick when I heard that first Christmas song on the radio in early November... I will have to start working on my gag reflex A.S.A.P. before I hear that first Christmas song any day now. Only yesterday at the department store I saw a display of Christmas tree ornaments although when I mentioned it to Ryan he said they were probably there all year round. Maybe this year will be lucky #3 for us and we'll buy our coveted Filipino Nativity set with the pig on a spit (or "Lechun" as they call it) that we've looked at over these past 2 Christmas' in the Philippines. I have to admit... I am looking forward to those cool December days of high twenties (that's *C for you Americans who still use *F). It will be a refreshing break from the heat of the rest of the year.
Here's a little early Christmas love from us Beatties:
Ho Ho Ho

No comments:

Post a Comment