Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What Being Canadian Means To Me, Eh!?

Ogopogo
Ogopogo
I've always thought the parts of Canada that I have seen were beautiful and versitile. I know it's the second largest country in the world as far as area following Russia and that we are polite to a point where people can find it annoying. We defiantly have the coolest animals (beaver, polar bear, reindeer and Ogopogo) and the coolest homes (teepee's, igloo's, log cabins and houses) and our money is colourful and bright. Although I love all these things about Canada and I am proud to say that this where I am from I never really quite understood what it meant to be Canadian until I moved away.

I love the Philippines, it has so much beauty and the people are so warm and kind. I really am thankful for the warm weather all year round and my new found love for rice but there are some things that can never compare.

I am grateful for the opportunity to have gone to college and actually get a job in my field instead of spending that time and money to obtain a job at a call center or department store. When Brayden tells me that one day he wants to be a fireman I am so happy to tell him truthfully that he can and tomorrow when that answer changes to teacher, doctor, race car driver I can give him the same answer. I am thankful for our health care system even though it's not perfect we have the equipment and technology to treat people in some of the better facilities in the world. Although sometimes people question where exactly their tax dollars go I don't see bridges half complete because half the budget for the project went missing or a city hall that cost millions and millions to complete when people are living in collapsing shacks across the street. I feel my tax dollars do go into my health care, free library programs for my children and my paved back alley. I know that because of the passport I hold people will be kinder to me, my options open and the world at my fingertips to explore. We are a peaceful country not looking for war and there aren't guerilla's hiding in the mountains beheading people to make their point.

I know Canada isn't perfect but today, on Canada's 143rd birthday, I will hold my head up high and be proud and thankful to be Canadian. It is a place I want to raise my children, a place I want to explore and the place I call home.

4 comments:

  1. Good perspective... but it's not Canada Day in Canada yet... you should celebrate for two days.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure do enjoy so many luxuries don't we! Canada is such a great county!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a wonderful way of putting things. you should be a journalist or something. Love you

    ReplyDelete