Saturday, April 7, 2012

Fairy Love and Our 6 Year Old

For her sixth birthday Sydney decided she wanted to go with a Fairy theme and we thought that renting the gymnasium at one of the local schools was going to be WAY more fun then cleaning the house top to bottom before and after a party! Sydney also had requested the use of Nana's gym for her party so it worked out perfect, especially with it being just across the street. Easy to pack up and load all the birthday supplies to the school for the part-ay. The only concern was our poor birthday girl was battling the flu and we weren't too sure if she was going to be able to make it puke free for the afternoon. We had a couple people attending the party who are immune sensitive so this is kind of a big deal and was kind of stressing me out after spending so much time into prepping her the perfect cake and getting the gym all booked. Thankfully she woke up birthday morning with a little more colour and although she was super quiet, not especially hungry, she was no longer puking! YAY. So we loaded our balloons (and lungs) with helium, put everything in the van and took the 10 second drive across the street and set up the gym.
Fairy WingsFlu Recovery
Each of the girls got a set of Fairy wings and a little pixie skirt to wear for the party and everyone got a little pixie house to decorate so the Fairies around their houses would have a comfy place to live.
Fairy HouseFairy Maddy

Happy Birthday To YouOne of my favourite things to do for my kids on their birthday is to make their dream cake. I'm not too sure why since it causes a fair bit of stress and takes quite a bit of time but I really do love their reaction when they see the completed project. I remember some of the awesome cakes my mom would decorate for my birthday and I want my kids to feel that same excitement and anticipation, definitely worth the time, and stress. It's nice that the kids are all at this age where they know to keep their fingers to themselves when it comes to decorating and can actually be quite the helpers when it comes to kneeding the colours evenly into the fondant and then rolling it out into a nice flat smooth surface. I had a few different ideas swirling around my head for Sydneys fairy cake but ended up with this:

THE CakeSydney
After running, playing, colouring, eating and then running some more to burn of cake sugars it was time to go. The kids each got some candy and a little bit of their own pixie dust to, um, sprinkle around at their own houses.
Pixie DustCandy Kabob

Happiness So I'd like to take a minute to let Sydney know she has been 6 years of an amazing time, filled our hearts with the sound of her cute little giggles and won our hearts over time and time again with her perfect dimples. Those dark endless eyes continue to fill me with awe that you somehow belong to us and that you feel we are deserving of your endless displays of love and affection. Sydney Jean, you are 100% one of a kind and I wouldn't change one second of life with you! Happy birthday to my 6 year old and here's to hoping the next 6 years are just as filled with love, joy and excitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment